Håller den gråhåriga kvinnan på att försvinna?
"The Gray Wars: To dye or not to dye. That is the question in the latest feminist debate over aging and authenticity." – intressant artikel i Time. Några utdrag:
- "According to a Procter & Gamble survey, 65% of women had colored their hair in the previous year, which is why going gray has become a difficult and an equally fraught choice for modern women to make."
- "...the U.S. has almost no high-profile, female, gray-haired role models."
- "Yet of the 16 female U.S. Senators – the highest number ever – who range in age from 46 to 74, not a single one has visible gray hair."
- "Clairol research reports that the 71% of women who dye their hair do so in order to 'look and feel more attractive'."
- "Another powerful motivator [...] is to live the fantasy that they're still 30 or 35 instead of 45 or 60. But rather than sell it as a fantasy or a lie, the postmodern beauty industry casts artificial color as a means of expressing a deeper truth about who one is."
- "There's a reason why 40, 50 and 60 don't look the way they used to, and it's not because of feminism, or better living through exercise. It's because of hair dye."